Thankful but Confused

A wave of a wand, readings from the stars,images out of a crystal ball,turnings of fate. A journey. Girl to woman (most days, it's just a matter of surviving). One scoop a day recommended dose. Everyday is a different flavor. Explore...

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

If Men are From Mars and Women are From Venus, Then I Must be From Mars

Now see…I used to wonder why I didn’t have many girlfriends growing up. Why my friends were always guys but just one or two girlfriends, best girl friends at that, not just somebody I picked up at a toy store because they looked and smelled nice.

Is it that I don’t understand all things girly? Or am I not feminine enough? Maybe girls don’t find me as galpal material? What?

In college I had too many guy friends I lost count. Sometimes I forgot I was a girl because I hung out with guys too much.

My first job, I befriended the cleaning service guy who was a decent employee, husband and father. But I would never have known that had I not spend hours talking to him because I did not want to have anything to do with the rest of the women who constantly bickered.

Second job, I played nice with the IT guy, guys from Accounting and they all treated me like a younger sister. We would talk about basketball, made bets during NBA play offs, complained about life in general, shared dirty pictures from the internet, go home. Start again next day. No fuss.

My current job requires me to interact with a lot of women, and I find many of them interesting. I have found women who are so fascinating that I hope I can become them one day. But then again, I have met women who are so determined to make other people’s lives so miserable, that I believe they come to work every day for that sole purpose only. And I must be the most naïve person on earth, because I tend to believe the best in people. All the time. I figure, if I’m nice to them, there’s no reason why they’re not nice to me, right? Holly fucking shit, how I’ve been mistaken.

Now I start to remember why I didn’t’ have a lot of girlfriends. It’s because I can’t stand the catfights, the gossips, the backstabbing, the pointing fingers, facts that are so twisted from the truth you forget the original story, the pressure of always having to look beautiful, the horror on their faces when I don’t feel like wearing make-up, high heels or doing my hair juuuuust exactly a certain way.

I’d rather hang around with my boys, smoking, debating over never-ending subjects, watch them play pool, having the kind of laugh that you can snort through your nose because they are just that funny and silly, lay back, throw dirty jokes, given the passenger seat without having to call shotgun, but most importantly I always know that I can be one of the guys when I feel like it, and be a girl when I want to, and they’d still take care of me like a bunch of soft big teddy bears. I love you guys…

And I don’t mind being able to count my girlfriends only with the amount of fingers on one hand, left or right, I don’t care…coz I know those are my true friends. The ones I can lose contact for awhile, meet up and still feel like we haven’t lost one day of friendship. The ones who know all my secrets, and the ones to whom I can let my guard down and let them see me at my weakest. Kudos to all my girls…you know who you are… To all the rest, well..shucks..maybe I am from Mars afterall. I guess I'll get to know you just like the men do, slowly and akwardly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home